The earlier you recognize damage to your home foundation, the easier and cheeper repairs will be. Your house is probably the most expensive investment you’ll ever make. That’s why it pays to protect it. If you suspect something’s wrong with your home, it’s wise to learn how to identify signs of foundation damage.
If left unchecked, damage to your home foundation can escalate overnight, ensuring any damage-related repairs will be more costly and time consuming.
Warning signs of damage to your home foundation you should keep an eye out for:
- Cracks in bricks: on the outside or inside of your home, particularly cracks that are wider at the top of the wall and narrower at the bottom. These cracks could be indicators that your home is suffering from damage to the foundation.
- Flooring cracks: the same goes for flooring in your house. If cracks have begun to occur in the tiles or floors of your home, it could mean your home foundation is suffering from settlement problems.
- Cracks in the corners of your walls: look for exterior corner cracks or cracks around doors and windows. Exterior cracks may indicate damage to your home foundation.
- Cracks in the stucco: cracks appearing to have a stair-like pattern in the stucco around your home suggest major structural issues at play.
- Gaps in doors or windows, or sticking doors and windows: if the doors and windows in your home have started to create gaps or are beginning to stick, this may mean there are structural problems.
- Garage door issues: if you find gaps between the garage door and frame, broken bricks or walls that seem to be bent, these can all be indicators that there are structural problems with the house.
Older homes are much more vulnerable to foundation problems. Many foundation issues arise when homes have passed the 10-year mark since construction. Soil, erosion, tree roots and plumbing leaks can all cause fundamental problems and compromise the structural integrity of your property.
We have more than 40 years of experience in leveling and repairing foundations. Weinstein Construction experts will not only repair your damaged foundation, but we can source the cause of damage. Sourcing the cause and making necessary repairs ensures you don’t have to deal with the same issues again and again.